RULES REGARDING CONDUCT AND DISCIPLINE
(Approved by 15th Governing Council, dated July 24, 2010)
Following rules shall be in force to govern the conduct and discipline of all students:
- Students shall show due respect to the teachers of the Institute, the Wardens of the Halls of Residence, the Sports Officers and the Officers of the National Cadet Corps; proper courtesy and consideration should be extended to the employees of the Institute and the Wardens of the hostels. They shall also pay due attention and courtesy to visitors.
- Students are required to develop a friendly relationship with fellow students. In particular, they are expected to show kindness and consideration to the new students admitted to the Institute every year. Law bans ragging in any form to anybody - acts of ragging will be considered as gross indiscipline and will be severely dealt with
- Students have to use the appropriate official channels in expressing any grievances and not let their anger or greed take over their reasoning and compassion
- The following acts of omission and/or commission shall constitute gross violation of the code of conduct and are liable to invoke disciplinary measures:
Commensurate with the gravity of the offence, the punishment may be reprimand, fine, expulsion from the Hostel, debarment from an examination, rustication for a specified period or even outright expulsion from the Institute.
- Furnishing false statement of any kind while filling the official forms or applications for award of scholarship etc.
- Mutilation or unauthorized possession of library books.
- Misuse of Internet/e-mail facilities or tempering/ hacking with servers anywhere in the places of residence/departments etc.
- Adoption of unfair means in the examinations
- Organizing or participating in any group activity in company with others inside or outside the campus without prior permission of the Director.
- Leaving the campus without intimating the Warden of the hostel and without availing leave.
- Displaying lack of courtesy and decorum; resorting to indecent behavior anywhere within or outside the campus.
- Willfully damaging or stealthily removing any property/belongings of the University/Institute, hostel or fellow students.
- Possession, consumption or distribution of alcoholic drinks or any kind of hallucinogenic drugs. Yielding to bad habits as smoking etc.
- Creating/spreading unrest, resorting to noisy and unseemly behaviour, disturbing the studies of fellow students and disrupting the academic climate of the campus
- Inviting public personalities without the permission of the competent authority.
- For an offence committed (a) in the hostel, (b) in the institute or a classroom and (c) elsewhere, the Faculty-in-charge/Warden, the Head/Faculty-in-charge of the Department and the Director, respectively, shall have the authority to reprimand or impose fine or take any other suitable measure.
All cases involving punishment other than reprimand shall be reported to the Chairman of the Standing Disciplinary Committee.
- (a) All major acts of indiscipline, which may have serious repercussion on the general body of students, and/or which may warrant a uniform and more formalized nature of investigation, shall be handled by the Standing Institute Disciplinary Committee appointed by Vice-Chancellor. The standing Disciplinary Committee consists of the following ex-officio and other members:
In addition, the Chairman may invite any other person(s) to be associated with the proceedings of a particular case, if his/their participation is considered necessary in disposing of the matter.
- Director - Chairman
- Faculty-in-charge, Student Welfare
- Faculty-in-charge/Warden of the Hostel of which the student concerned is a boarder - Member
- A student Representative nominated by the VC - Member
- A student representative nominated by the Director - Member
- Faculty-in-charge (Academic) - Member Secretary
(b) Recommendation of the committee, which will include the suggested punishment in cases of guilt proven, will be forwarded to the Vice-Chancellor for necessary action.
- Cases of adoption of unfair means in an examination shall be dealt with by the Committee on Prevention of Examination Malpractices consisting of the following members:
The Committee shall recommend appropriate measures in each case to the VC for awarding the punishment.
- Director - Chairman
- Professor/Faculty-in-Charge of Examination - Member
- Head/Faculty-in-charge of the Department to which the reported student belongs - Member
- The Invigilator reporting the case - Member
- The Coordinator of the concerned subject in the campus - Member
- The Faculty-in-Charge (Academic) - Secretary